Estate Agents In York

Saturday, August 8, 2020

Unearthing edible treasures on the plot | Allan Jenkins

A return to the allotment after a few weeks’ absence gives a chance to take stock and revel in the sense of calm

The prodigal returns after five weeks away. The plot’s thickened. Saturday, 6am, I am relieved and contrite, but feeling guilty. No matter what my (good) reasons, I have neglected this place. And at peak summer growing time, too. I am concerned the plot will punish me, won’t understand. My theory is that what works with a vegetable garden is sustained attention. With meadow and some flowering spaces less so.

I turn a corner and there it is. In all its low-sun, high-summer splendour. The sunflowers are tall, the red orache towering, the chicories have bolted and branched into blue flower. I am mostly here to say hello, but also to lift the potatoes. I need the bed for chicories, late-summer salads and hardy leaf.

Continue reading...

from Home And Garden | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3in8uOb
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment