Estate Agents In York

Saturday, May 2, 2020

How to grow cucurbits: pumpkins, courgettes and cucumbers | Alys Fowler

Grow summer and winter squashes to feel prepared, says our gardening expert

My friend Birgit once told me that she didn’t feel truly happy unless there was some sort of cucurbit in the house, preferably a winter squash. I’ve come to understand that. There’s a comfort in having a store full of them. I start the winter with 15-20 fruit from five or six different varieties, and I’m still eating them well into May. I have pumpkins that taste of melon, others with a deep, sweet nuttiness, and thin-skinned, dense, beta-carotene rich ones. Sow salads, radishes and fast-growing greens like cime de rapa for quick rewards, grow courgettes and cucumbers if you want something for summer; but grow pumpkins to feel prepared.

Continue reading...

from Property | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3dkaW5R
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment