Estate Agents In York

Sunday, January 5, 2020

Should we take out the maximum help-to-buy equity loan?

A reader looking to buy a property in London seeks advice on whether or not to go with a higher mortgage

Q My partner and I are looking to buy a property in London using the help-to-buy scheme, which means we can pay a deposit of as little as 5% and get an equity loan of up to 40%, then take out a 55% mortgage. We have a deposit of about 10% saved up and can afford a 70% mortgage. Interest rates are low right now and that doesn’t seem to be changing any time soon, so I am tempted to go with a higher mortgage and deposit, so we can own more of our property. People think I am crazy not to take advantage of the upper limit of the help-to-buy equity loan, but I hate the idea that the amount I could owe someone might keep rising (even though it could fall as well … but hopefully not). Am I being too conservative and naive? Should I take advantage of the equity loan?
MW

A I think you are right to be cautious about taking out the maximum 40% equity loan just because you can. You are also being sensible in wanting to own as much of your property as possible. And you are right that the main drawback of the help-to-buy scheme is that – assuming house prices keep rising – the amount you have to pay back to Homes England (which provides the equity loan) will also keep rising. Conversely, the amount you owe on a mortgage keeps going down because you are only allowed to take out a repayment mortgage – which can now have a term of up to 35 years – under the conditions of the help-to-buy scheme.

Continue reading...

from Property | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2MZrhCd
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment