Estate Agents In York

Saturday, November 2, 2019

How to grow orchids | Alys Fowler

Good winter light, careful watering, and feeding will ensure a rewarding crop of flowers, says our gardening expert

My first loves, when I was young, were epiphytic orchids; their often brash otherness seemed to speak to me. I dreamed of hothouses dripping in exotic blooms and joined the Orchid Society of Great Britain. Then I went to work in one of those hothouses, and those glamorous flowers suddenly seemed a little uptight, with all their demands and high humidity needs. Slowly but surely, orchids disappeared out of my life, until a couple of years ago when my neighbour gave me a moth orchid, Phalaenopsis x hybrid, when she was moving house. I thought it was a loan and then it turned into a gift, and just when my indifference was peaking, it flowered in great profusion.

Continue reading...

from Property | The Guardian https://ift.tt/34oO3cG
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment