Estate Agents In York

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Why I’m under the hammer at the auctioneers | Eva Wiseman

So much to see – and best of all win – at my local auction house

It seems I have… a hobby? When I wasn’t looking a new trapdoor opened in the panelling of my personality and now I am an auction person. Every Monday I waddle to the auction house at the end of my road, and calmly finger the tchotchkes and platters and tables and prints, choosing which item I don’t need that I need that week. I know it’s a hobby because my boyfriend alternates between disapproval and patronisation, sometimes both, depending on the size of the teapot.

eBay has been my main shopping mall since 2007, because I both love old clothes and enjoy the chase. But the differences between a website and a real auction are vast and grounded largely in touch and smell, and the sense that a real person has curated this weekly museum of loss and memory.

Continue reading...

from Property | The Guardian https://ift.tt/30QAQay
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment