Estate Agents In York

Monday, July 1, 2019

Loss of biodiversity from our gardens | Letters

Cherry Weston’s garden still attracts wildlife, while Nigel Mellor, Ian Duncan and Steve Brazier are missing worms, snails and birds. But Jane Moth may know where the bats are

I feel for readers who have been missing birds and bats in their gardens (Letters, 28 June). I can’t be sure of the reasons – climate change could, of course, be a factor – but I would like to ascribe the continued presence of both in my garden to the fact that I have never used chemical or other means to get rid of insects. My lack of gardening rigour has meant the garden is slightly messy, so various forms of wildlife have been able find places to live. A hedgehog, badger and fox have all been sighted, and we have often heard, although never seen, a tawny owl.
Cherry Weston
Wolverhampton

• Digging patches of my garden over the last few months, I haven’t seen a single worm. Seems odd.
Dr Nigel Mellor
Newcastle upon Tyne

Continue reading...

from Property | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2Xl2xeR
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment