Estate Agents In York

Sunday, July 12, 2020

Can I buy a house in my name but put my partner on the mortgage?

I’m worried we won’t be eligible for the stamp duty cut as my fiance owns a flat he can’t sell

Q I live with my fiance, who part-owns a one-bedroom flat in south London through a shared- ownership scheme. He has been trying to sell the flat for two years so that we can buy a house together and start a family. However, due to issues with the fire safety of the insulation in the development, he is unable to sell the flat as no banks will lend a mortgage on the property.

The housing association with which he co-owns the property has said that he can sub-let the flat, so we can move out, then sell the property once the work to replace the insulation is finished (this has no date yet and we suspect it may take years, not months). However, this would mean that he is technically buying a second home, so we wouldn’t be eligible for the new cut to stamp duty. Our budget is already tight as we don’t have the money from the sale of his flat, so this could be the difference between being able to buy another home and not.

Continue reading...

from Property | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2AShE5g
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment