Estate Agents In York

Sunday, June 14, 2020

Weeding out horticulture’s race problem

Even in the garden, there’s bigotry to be found

One of the things I love most about gardening is its ability to cut through social divisions. Tapping into the universal human desire to nurture, as well as our instinctive fascination with the natural world, gardening has the unique ability to transcend gender, class, race, sexuality and political persuasions.

So, it may come as a surprise to many people how much of a systemic problem racism is within the seemingly friendly, mild-mannered world of UK horticulture. When one of my best mates recently asked me if I had ever experienced it in our industry, we were both genuinely shocked at each other’s reactions. He to know how frequently it happens to me, and me to discover he had absolutely no idea that this wasn’t something that was wholly confined to the 1970s. But his reaction was totally understandable: it’s not something I enjoy talking about, to be honest. It is not fun, in fact I find it both uncomfortable and tedious to relive, as I imagine it is for those listening to me doing it. However, it is important. We do not make the world a better place by ignoring problems, but by talking about them.

Continue reading...

from Property | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2Ywh2dj
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment