Estate Agents In York

Saturday, March 21, 2020

How to grow blueberries | Alys Fowler

To enjoy a summer crop, the trick is in the soil, which should be acidic, porous and damp

I cannot say that I am exactly rich in blueberries; my harvest is modest, but for three or four weeks I can pick handfuls to scatter over my breakfast cornflakes. It never occurs to me to want blueberries, or cornflakes for that matter, outside of this brief summer fling, but for those glorious mornings my pleasure is sated.

Blueberries are acid fans and that makes them tricky to please, because they want garden soil with a pH between 4.5-5.5; most sit somewhere around 6.5-7.5. And therein lies the problem. Blueberries in the wrong pH sulk and can turn chlorotic: the leaves go sickly pale green; the plant becomes stunted; yields disappear.

Continue reading...

from Home And Garden | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2Wy5A1F
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment