Estate Agents In York

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Amaranth tastes as good as it looks | James Wong

Sow this beautiful and fast-growing plant for your own plentiful supply of ‘Indonesian spinach’

We all have little quirks that drive the people around us crazy. And I think it’s fair to say, if you ask anyone around me, that I have more than most. One of my many “things” is the compulsion to visit a supermarket (or even better, an allotment) whenever I am in a new country. I find the whole experience fascinating. Far more than any museum, tour of monuments or obligatory selfie spot, these teach you about the real day-to-day lives of the people who live there. It might exasperate my friends and family, but I am always picking up ideas to bring home too. So here is my latest find, picked up during a trip to Indonesia…

Driving past paddy fields and coconut palms, one of the other key plants that really stood out to me was one that is far less iconic but equally common: amaranth. Reaching up to 6ft high in big, green clumps, fountains of these leaves grow everywhere. A quick look at any local market will show you why, too – it’s the “Indonesian spinach” that’s on every menu.

Continue reading...

from Home And Garden | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2ODC0TC
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment