Estate Agents In York

Sunday, August 25, 2019

Animal magic: garden tips from pet owners

It’s amazing what gardeners can learn from keepers of exotic species

As someone who has spent a lifetime fixated on horticulture (as a kid I used to stay up late reading the RHS Encyclopaedia under my covers with a torch), I thought I had a pretty good grip on how to grow plants. But there is always a surprise in store.

Two years ago, I wandered into an exotic pet exhibition while on holiday in the Netherlands. I was blown away by the spectacular horticultural installations being made by collectors of poison dart frogs, praying mantises and colourful land crabs. I couldn’t fathom how they managed to create thriving colonies of velvety moss or immaculate living walls dripping in orchids. And, quite frankly, I felt frustrated that I only recognised about half the plants.

Continue reading...

from Home And Garden | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2U1EKLX
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment