Estate Agents In York

Friday, September 13, 2019

Diet of worms has to be right for compost success | Letters

Readers respond to Adrian Chiles’s report of his struggle to create compost from his organic waste using a wormery

Along with, no doubt, many other vermophiles, I’d like to reassure Adrian Chiles that wormeries do work and that his worms will handsomely reward his efforts if he persists (The worm has turned – but where’s my compost?, G2, 12 September). Having decided that a wormery would be a good way of recycling vegetable matter in my small back yard, I too had a catastrophic false start, involving some drowned worms and the wrong sort of smelly decomposition, but with the help of a new batch of worms, I discovered the importance of incorporating dry material into the worms’ diet.

Torn-up egg boxes are particularly good, and I don’t need a shredder to dispose of details from bank statements when my worms are hungry. For years now, my wriggly little friends have been providing me with small amounts of compost and, more usefully, enough of a miraculously effective liquid plant feed to provide a copious supply to me and all my gardening friends. What’s more, whatever I feed to my worms isn’t going to landfill. Hang in there, Adrian. Be good to your worms, and they’ll be good to you.
Chris McConway
Newcastle upon Tyne

Continue reading...

from Home And Garden | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2AhEZJO
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment