Estate Agents In York

Sunday, April 14, 2019

For a piece of Jurassic Park in your lifetime…

Until 1994, amazing Wollemi pines were presumed long extinct. Now you can grow one for yourself

I know gardening is supposed to be about patience, but some plants can test even the most resolute of characters. Almost 20 years ago I bought myself a little monkey puzzle tree (Araucaria araucana), having had a fascination with them since I was a child. Dating back to the time of the dinosaurs, it is thought their spiky green leaves evolved to defend against Brachiosaurus attacks. Seeing great forests of them as a teenager in the BBC series Walking with Dinosaurs, I was desperate to capture a small piece of this primordial landscape in my family’s tiny suburban semi. Flash forward two decades, and I am still waiting. The damn thing is barely 1m tall and is pretty much the same width it was when I first bought it, despite generous lashings of water and liquid feed every summer.

Continue reading...

from Home And Garden | The Guardian http://bit.ly/2IiIFkC
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment