Estate Agents In York

Sunday, May 26, 2019

I want to extend the lease on my flat, but the freeholders won't help

The person who owns 60% of the freehold would be uncooperative as we had a dispute

Q I live in a Victorian house that has been converted into five flats. I bought my flat several years ago and own 20% of the freehold. The lease on my flat is now less than 80 years, and understandably I want to extend the lease. The managing agent told all the leaseholders last year that he would take action to extend the leases but has done nothing about it and does not respond to my emails. He is not an easy person to do business with. There is also no point me contacting the other freeholders as the person who owns 60% of the freehold would be uncooperative, as I have successfully prevented him converting the garage attached to the house into a residential dwelling.

Is there anything I can do to extend the leasehold? (I am reluctant to employ a lawyer as their services are so expensive.) I understand that new legislation will shortly come before parliament which will make it easier for leaseholders to extend their leases. Should I simply wait for the legislation to be passed?
GL

Continue reading...

from Property | The Guardian http://bit.ly/2X93zGm
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment