Estate Agents In York

Sunday, February 3, 2019

A dangerous moss killer - Country diary, 6 February 1919

6 February 1919 When spraying the caustic soda one has to be careful not to get on the wrong side of the wind

I am always glad when I have safely finished the washing of the fruit trees with caustic soda; it is such dangerous stuff. When measuring out the powder (1lb. to four gallons of water) one’s eyes and throat smart, and later, when spraying with a fine nozzle, one has to be careful not to get the wrong side of the wind. I chose what seemed a perfectly still day, but the very fine spray was sensitive to tiresome little veering gusts, and I was glad I was wearing glasses and gloves. But what satisfaction to see the result! I had just put in some young fruit trees, well grown and likely, but decidedly dirty with moss. Now the moss it entirely destroyed, and in time this batch of trees will have bark as bright and clean as those which have been cared for every year in the little plot.

Related: Say goodbye to slugs, snails, mice and badgers

Continue reading...

from Home And Garden | The Guardian http://bit.ly/2Bidi4l
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment