Estate Agents In York

Saturday, June 1, 2019

The best scented flowers and foliage | Alys Fowler

The house might have been dark and the fridge half-empty, but these scented plants in my front garden said, ‘Welcome home’

I came home late to a damp road and an empty house. In the neon glow of the street lamp, I could smell the purple honesty, Lunaria annua, their heads popping over the front-garden wall. I could smell them before I opened the gate, subtle, sweet and strong in the cool air after the rain. The house might have been dark and the fridge half-empty, but these scented plants in my front garden said, “Welcome home.”

Lilac’s glory may be brief; the flowers last for only a few weeks but, oh, how fragrant and divine they are. There are numerous varieties of Syringa vulgaris, the common lilac, such as ‘Katherine Havemeyer’ with its lavender-blue flowers, or the elegant, white double ‘Madame Lemoine’. But as both will eventually grow to 7m tall, if allowed, they are not the best for very small spaces.

Continue reading...

from Property | The Guardian http://bit.ly/2Z1TmMq
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment